The Fulbright Foreign Student Program is a non- degree project, sponsored by the U.S. Department of State in Washington, D.C.and administered by the Department of State’s Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs and the Institute of International Education (IIE) in New York.
The aim and objective is to strengthen capacities of African universities through higher degree training and to develop the potential of their academic staff.
The Interested Candidates have to be an exceptionally promising
professional, who wishes to continue their doctoral researches in the USA. However, Fulbright scholarship gives Preference to applicants who study Social Sciences, Humanities, Arts, and Natural Sciences.
Let's look at the criteria.
FULBRIGHT SCHOLARSHIP REQUIREMENTS FOR NIGERIANS
To be eligible for the scholarship the Interested Candidates must meet the Eight (8) requirements below
- Candidates must be citizens or nationals of Nigeria, or permanent residents holding a valid passport issued by the government of Nigeria.
- Candidates must be doctoral students and have the endorsement of their home institution.
- Candidates must be at least two years into their doctoral program in any discipline.
- Candidates must have an outstanding academic record and high level of English proficiency.
- Candidates must meet a minimum score of 100 in the internet based TOEFL test.
- Candidates must have high motivation and a serious commitment to completing the program as scheduled and to returning home.
- Only Candidates with strong proposals, outlining their research objectives, methodology, time-frame, and justification for conducting the research in the U.S. will be short-listed for interviews.
- Candidates in business, law and accounting should understand that most U.S. institutions rarely accept research students in these fields due to high demand for full-time programs and tuition concerns. As a consequence, we face great challenges in finding placements for such grantees unless their proposals are tilted toward economics, development-related areas, democracy, human rights and conflict resolution.
Deadline for submitting online application and all supplementary documents is June 1
MODE OF APPLICATION
Interested and Qualified Candidates should Carefully Read the Instructions and Click Here to fill the online application forms Completely and attach the following supporting documents online;
- Three (3) academic and professional references,
- Curriculum Vitae,
- academic transcripts from each post-secondary institution attended and writing sample.
ONLY online applications are accepted.